CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Janet Clarkson Memeorial Triathlon

Last Thursday we headed out to West Yellowstone with my family to set up camp. Friday we drove through the park and saw lots of buffalo, some elk, bald eagles, and pretty scenery. 
Below is one of the many geysers that we saw. We also went to Old Faithful and it wasn't very faithful. Usually it will go off every hour but it went off about 10 minutes late!


Saturday morning I woke up about 6:30 and the race began @ 10:00. Todd got a little more sleep than I did-I can't sleep in when I camp. 

 We started to get my wetsuit on about 20 minutes before the race. It was closing in on starting time and I was feeling the nerves begin because I don't like to be rushed. Also they announced that the race was 1000 meters (I haven't swam that far yet!). I knew that the race was .65 of a mile but a 1000 meters was a little different because in a pool I've swam 800 meters at most.  I took a dip in the water to feel the cold rush on m body. It was a good temp. of 59* that morning, which was 4* higher than last year. Mike and I got in a photo before our start in our HOT outfits!
And we're off...
You can see that the water was pretty and still. Right when I started to get into the rhythm of the free-style I got some bad anxiety when my head would go into the water. I had to start doing the breast-stroke for a while. Before the race I expected to swim in about 35 min so that I wouldn't rush myself and I finished in 29 minutes! I handed my timer to my Dad for the bike and he was off. 
(Mike was 3rd out of the water! in 18 min)

He had a good bike ride and he looked good in his new shirt we all got him for Father's day!

Todd finished at a dead sprint! It was very warm for the bike and the run and it 
was at a higher altitude. They did a great job. 

After a while Todd and I went over to hear all of the rewards.
Right when we walked up we heard Mike's name and I went up to get his for him (he didn't want to get his metal-he's too humble and doesn't like all the hype)
Mike got 1st place in his age division and he finished 4th overall!
&
Surprisingly we got one!! We received 3rd place metals for the relay!
Here's the whole gang. 
I'm glad that we did this race and got a feel for what it's like. We are looking forward
to our next race in August!

13 comments:

Pruett said...

Kim.......Woahoooo!!!! You go girl! I am so proud of you guys!!! Way to go. You are such an inspiration and I am so impressed with you! I want some pics!!!!! lv, Heather

Katie said...

Kim- You are such a stud. Can I be like you when I grow up?

PS- I've been swimming laps during this pregnancy, but no where close to 1000 meters. I only swim a 500 daily. You're crazy! :)

Kara said...

Kim that is so awesome. I think it is great that you swam so well. Looks like you had tons of fun!

Shay and Kira said...

That's awesome! You guys rock! So where downtown did you end up moving? THe Carriage apartments? Yahoo! Let's hang out for sure. I miss you guys!

Kati Howard said...

You guys are nuts! But it's totally cool that you did so well....I'm realy impressed. Way to go Allens!! :)

Derek and Andra said...

So awesome way to go!! i am so jealous

aSHleY said...

COngratulations Todd and Kim and Papa Porter. Way to go on the swim Kim, I am very impressed. I need you to motivate me to do one sometime.

Tami said...

You are so awesome! Matt has been taking about wanting to do a triathlon, he knows better than to ask me to do it with him. You rock, Todd is lucky to have you to do that stuff with.

Heidi said...

Way to go on the swim time! I love the sexy wetsuits ;-)

Kimberly said...

How fun! I would love to do tri-athalons! I love reading up about what the whole Porter fam. is doing!

Kimberly said...

It just hit me that I think I know your brother in law Ben from college

Davis and Laura said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome! It was so good seeing you in Boise. You look as cute as ever! :) Congrats on the race.

Bobbi said...

Kim, congratulations on the race!
It was fun to see pics from Lake Powell on your slideshow. That was a fun trip and we were glad for the time to get to know you two. Have a good summer!